Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Oil Change?

I've never changed oil/filter before. I researched how to do it and am pretty sure I can do it myself. Do you think I should do it myself-save money/time down the road? Any tips?Oil Change?It depends on your car. My subaru is so easy to change, I don't even have to jack it up but my acura is a little harder because the filter is in a funkey spot. It saves me so much money to change my own oil (and since I am a girl it feels nice to say I can change it and I DO!) Its a judgment call on if you feel comfortable enough to do it. If you do it don't put the filter on really tight, and rub some oil on the top of the filter too...at least thats what my dad taught me. Also the oil pan you should not tighten it really tight either. synthetic oil is good for vehicles over 100,000.Oil Change?It's pretty easy to do, but it really doesn't save you that much money, and certainly not any time. Just take it in, that is much easier.Oil Change?I have changed mine for over 30 years. One tip is get some cheap disposable rubber gloves. Much easier to clean up because you will get oil on you. Always change the filter too. They are cheap insurance. Put a little oil on the rubber gasket of the filter and do not over tighten it. Read the volumes specifications about your car so you don't over fill the oil and you should be fine. You can get rid of the old oil at most oil change facilities as they sell it. Some parts stores will take it too. Good luck. Its smart to do this maintenance yourself.Oil Change?it saves me money cause synthetic oil is cheaper when you buy it at the store, costs me 60 bucks to fill it at valvoline which is usually where I get my oil atOil Change?It's a piece of cake,just be carefull not to overfill with oil.Oil Change?I did my own oil changes for about 5 years just because that's what my Dad always did and that's what I was taught to do. Then one day I was looking through the paper and saw a $15 oil change coupon. I never new it was so cheap to have someone else change your oil. It would cost me about $13 to do it myself. The decision was easy and I haven't changed my own oil for about 10 years.Oil Change?Use good quality oil and filter. Don't overtighten the new filter. Dispose of the old oil and filter properly. Many parts stores take old oil for you and recycle it free. You can do it for about 1/3 of what a pro place charges.Oil Change?Also, while you're under the hood, look at other fluid levels, belts, hoses,wires,,,,,,,,Oil Change?that depends on the car,your ability,where the oil filter is,if you have the tools,i use ramps to get under the car,watch out for the exhaust manifold it is hot,when you pull out the drain plug dont loose the gasket,you must check the engine to see that the old oil seal came off with the oil filter,when you put on the filter most say after the filter makes contact then go 2/3 turn more,dont over tighten the oil plug not too loose not too tight just right put in the oil run it and check for leaks the local parts store will take the old oilOil Change?Make sure that the oil filter gasket comes off with the old filter. Sometimes they stick to the block and cause massive leakage if you stack them.

Dont over tighten filter! Ounce filter is snug, a three quarter turn is enough tightning. Over tightning will only frustate you next time you change the oil.

Ensure plug gasket is not cracked. Some cars do not have plug gaskets. Some do.

Look underneath your vehicle after start up for leaks.Oil Change?Changing the oil in a car is not a difficult task, but if you decide to do it yourself; try to have an expert around to guide you through it.



You could take it in to get it professionally done and it may save you money, however you never know exactly what they're doing. Take it from experience, sometimes shops will screw you over and go cheap by using only one bottle of clean oil or not doing it right. Personally, I prefer doing my own maintenance whenever possible. You'll feel better afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment